Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Maine shooting suspect was 'behaving erratically' during summer: Defense official
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 09:12:36
A manhunt is Will Sage Astorunderway for the suspect in a mass shooting in Maine that killed at least 18 people and wounded 13 others, officials said.
The mass shooting unfolded in two locations in Lewiston on Wednesday evening: a bowling alley where a children's league was taking place and a local bar, officials said.
The Androscoggin County Sheriff's Office released a photo Tuesday night of the suspect brandishing a semi-automatic rifle at one of the locations.
The suspected gunman -- identified as 40-year-old Robert Card -- has been a U.S. Army reservist since December 2002, the Army confirmed. His current rank is as a sergeant first class and his job is a petroleum supply specialist. He has no combat deployments.
Authorities found the suspect’s white Subaru at a location in Lisbon, several miles southeast of Lewiston, Wednesday night, sources said. The abandoned car was a critical piece of evidence in allowing police to focus on Card, multiple law enforcement officials told ABC News.
An arrest warrant has been issued against Card for eight counts of murder for the victims who have been identified so far, officials said. The arrest warrant will be updated when the other 10 victims are identified.
"Mr. Card is considered armed and dangerous, and police advise that Maine people should not approach him under any circumstances," Maine Gov. Janet Mills said during a press briefing on Wednesday.
MORE: Maine mass shooting live updates
Maine officials did not speak to a potential motive, but said they are looking into Card's mental health when asked during the press briefing about his background and gun possession.
"I know that we will be reviewing that information as we move forward, but that's not an answer that we're prepared to give today," Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said.
"There’s still an active search for the suspect in question," he said.
A U.S. Defense Department official confirmed to ABC News that Card was "behaving erratically" while deployed over the summer with his Army Reserve Unit to Camp Smith Training Center in upstate New York to support summer training for West Point cadets.
Leaders of the Army Reserve's 3rd Battalion, 304th Infantry Regiment informed garrison staff at the training site about his behavior on July 17, the defense official said.
"Out of concern for his safety, the unit requested that law enforcement be contacted," the official said.
MORE: Maine shooting timeline: How the mass shootings in Lewiston unfolded
New York State Police officers responded and transported Card to Keller Army Community Hospital at the U.S. Military Academy for medical evaluation, the official said.
New York State Police has stationed armed troopers at the entrances to Camp Smith as a precaution to beef up the armed security, according to the official.
No further details were released by the official.
Card was not assigned to West Point as any sort of instructor, including firearms, an academy official told ABC News.
"While his unit supported West Point summer training, our records indicate he did not instruct nor have any interactions with cadets in training," the official said.
Card's military service awards include the Army Achievement Medal, Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal and Army Service Ribbon.
veryGood! (41288)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- 7-year-old boy among 5 dead in South Carolina plane crash
- Q&A: Is Elizabeth Kolbert’s New Book a Hopeful Look at the Promise of Technology, or a Cautionary Tale?
- These 20 Secrets About the Jurassic Park Franchise Will Find a Way
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Jessie J Reveals Name of Her and Boyfriend Chanan Safir Colman's One-Month-Old Son
- Proof Jennifer Coolidge Is Ready to Check Into a White Lotus Prequel
- Many Scientists Now Say Global Warming Could Stop Relatively Quickly After Emissions Go to Zero
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Louisiana’s New Climate Plan Prepares for Resilience and Retreat as Sea Level Rises
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- As Protests Rage Over George Floyd’s Death, Climate Activists Embrace Racial Justice
- Sun unleashes powerful solar flare strong enough to cause radio blackouts on Earth
- After Dylan Mulvaney backlash, Bud Light releases grunts ad with Kansas City Chiefs' Travis Kelce
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Election 2018: Florida’s Drilling Ban, Washington’s Carbon Fee and Other Climate Initiatives
- The Supreme Court Sidesteps a Full Climate Change Ruling, Handing Industry a Procedural Win
- In Louisiana, Stepping onto Oil and Gas Industry Land May Soon Get You 3 Years or More in Prison
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Proof Jennifer Coolidge Is Ready to Check Into a White Lotus Prequel
Amazon Reviewers Swear By This Beautiful Two-Piece Set for the Summer
Get a $28 Deal on $141 Worth of Peter Thomas Roth Face Masks Before This Flash Price Disappears
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Inside Kate Upton and Justin Verlander's Winning Romance
In Two Opposite Decisions on Alaska Oil Drilling, Biden Walks a Difficult Path in Search of Bipartisanship
Boy, 7, shot and killed during Florida jet ski dispute; grandfather wounded while shielding child